IMPORTANT Announcement of the Reduced Availability of Punts and Suspension of Membership Due to COVID-19 (19 August 2020)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Scudamore’s has decided to suspend the renewal of punt passes for the remainder of 2020. As we are unable to renew the passes, the number of punts available for our members to book will be reduced to ONE per day with effect from 18 August 2020, and to ZERO with effect from 7 December 2020, unless Scudamore’s has made changes to its policy. This means that members will not be able to book punts for any dates on or after 7 December using the system, and the membership will be temporarily suspended. We are very sorry to bring you the news about reduced and suspended service from the Scudamore’s. We will stay in touch with Scudamore’s about the earliest date that we can resume the membership, and will post updates on this page. In the meantime, starting from 7 December 2020, members will be eligible to book self-hire rental punting online with Scudamore’s at a discounted concessionary rate for the remainder of 2020, at https://www.scudamores.com/grantchester-punt-hire .
A statement from the Scudamore’s is attached as follows:
“Dear Punting Ticket Member,
First of all, we would like to thank you for your patience and on-going support during these unprecedented times.
We understand that punting is an activity that is greatly enjoyed by all of our members, and we are grateful for the continued interest shown in renewal applications.
New membership passes and renewals
As we’ve slowly reopened parts of our operation the reality of the situation has become ever more apparent that this year punting will look different.
Our first and foremost purpose is to keep our customers and staff safe which will see us running at limited capacity until next year.
Therefore, we’ve taken the difficult decision to suspend new memberships or renewals for the remainder of 2020.
In the meantime
We want to show our gratitude for your support by continuing to let your staff enjoy punting at reduced rates whilst we take stock of how best to renew Corporate Membership tickets in the post-Covid-19 world.
Therefore, once your membership elapses, your staff will be eligible to book self-hire rental punting online with Scudamore’s at a discounted concessionary rate. The concessionary rates will apply to all members with valid tickets expiring after 12th June 2020 and be available for the remainder of 2020.
The concessionary rates can be booked directly https://www.scudamores.com/grantchester-punt-hire. All we require when you come down to the punt station is proof of working for your company – be it a work ID or recent payslip (from within the past 3 months) – to confirm the validity of the concession.
We’ll be working on new ways to bring back punting memberships to you. We will be taking on board all the feedback we have received this year to ensure that we come to you with a membership package that meets your needs.
We hope to have something for you at the beginning of next year and we’ll be in touch once we do.
Best wishes and thank you for your continued support.
COVID-19 Announcement (12-June-2020)
“From Friday 12th June we’re reopening our Boatyard punt station, offering self-hire punt rentals on the upper river stretch towards Grantchester.
To ensure the safety of our visitors and staff we’ll be operating at a reduced capacity and will require customers to book in advance.
In order to best serve you and keep you safe:
· We’ve updated your booking portal where you can reserve your membership ticket for a specific time in advance.
· We ask you to familiarise yourself on our reopening here: https://www.scudamores.com/coronavirus.
· To keep everyone safe, we’ll no longer accept any walk-in customers with old reservations prior 12th June, as they are without allocated time. You or the ticket user will need to reserve a new timed slot on your portal.
· We’ve reserved 1/3 of our fleet to only serve you, our members, on any given day.
We’re allowing punt only reservations. Our kayaks and canoes are not available as a safety precaution due to the nature of the reusable buoyancy and flotation aids. Your booking entitles you to hire one of our large ferry punts. We’ve limited the capacity of these to 6 people (5 seated passengers and one brave volunteer from your group to punt)!
How to book:
– First please choose the date followed by your arrival time on your portal.
– The time slot is for your arrival time only. It will take approximately 15 minutes to set you up safely on your boat.
– You’ll need to return the boat before the day’s closing time
– Our ticket Terms and Conditions still apply and the ticket holder must be present on the day and be part of the punting party
What we ask of you
– Only punt with members of your own household.
– Bring your own hand sanitiser (and other PPE if you want to of course).
– Be confidently mobile as we have had to adapt how we hold the boat to get you on and off and are unable to offer you a supporting hand or arm.
– NOT to participate if you / anyone in your household have been infected or displayed any coronavirus symptoms, or have been in contact with anyone that has the virus, within the last 14 days.
– NOT to participate if you / anyone in your household is deemed in the vulnerable categories as defined in the current UK Government advice.
When you arrive
– Please arrive 5 minutes before your time slot. Sadly, if you’re more than 15 minutes late, we won’t be able to guarantee you entry. Your entry will then be at the discretion of the Duty Manager, whose decision will be based on visitor numbers and the ability to maintain safe social distancing.
– Have your membership card ready to show the Scudamore’s staff member at the front entrance.
– As part of your check-in you’ll be asked to secure a debit/credit card hire deposit (contactless) and to sign our Conditions of Hire (online signature).
During your visit
– To help keep everyone safe, please follow social distancing, and government guidance throughout your visit.
– Please look out for our staff and any signs around the site, taking care to follow their guidance.
– Be aware that, as a safety precaution, we are currently unable to provide any customers with personal floatation devices.
– You are encouraged to clean or sanitise your hands immediately before and after hire. Hand sanitiser will be available on site for the use of any customers who don’t have their own.
If you have any queries, please let us know.
Scudamore’s Customer Service
Scudamore’s Punting Company
Tel: 01223 359750
Please read our Terms & Conditions HERE”
On bookings in the winter
Dear Punt Ticket Holder,
We hope you enjoyed the wonderful summer and excellent sunny days on the river.
As we get into the winter season we would like to remind you that there’s an increased possibility of adverse weather.
The river current, air temperature and wind speed measurements are tested and checked at our stations every morning between 9:00 and 9:30.
For safety, our self-hire boats stop operating in temperatures under 5°C and our tours do so when it’s under 0 °C.
To keep yourself informed – if you’re intending to go on the river at a particular day – please check our website where any weather-related updates will be posted or you can call us directly on 01223 359 750.
Our daily opening and closing times can be found here: www.scudamores.com/opening-times.
We look forward to seeing you on the river soon.
The Bookings Team
Scudamore’s Punting Company
Tel: 01223 359750
Please read our Terms & Conditions HERE”
We have annual tickets for two punts (subject to availability) at Scudamore’s, allowing Hughes Hall Punt Club members to hire a punt at Scudamore’s Mill Lane station for free throughout the whole year. Each of the two punts can be booked by one Punt Club member per day for as long as the whole day (i.e. a total of two punt club member bookings per day). Unfortunately, we do not allow double bookings for both punts. Please check the Punt Club terms and conditions for details and make sure that you have read the latest version before hiring a punt. Please also check this page for any announcements about the membership, especially before you decide to join the Punt Club.
How to become a member
1. To join the Punt Club, please fill in the membership form (IMPORTANT: the membership will be SUSPENDED starting from 7 December 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, see details above). We also ask for a donation of £15 as a small contribution to the expenses of the Punt Club. The donation can be made by bank transfer to the MCR:
Account name: Hughes Hall MCR
Sort code: 401608
Account number: 50462411
Reference: PUNT’your CRSID’ (like ‘PUNTabc01’)
2. Send an email to the Infrastructure Officer (email@example.com) attaching the membership form and conformation of the bank transfer. Once your donation has been verified by the treasurer (this normally occurs on a Sunday), you will be registered for use and get access to the punt booking system.
How to hire a Scudamore’s punt
1. Bookings can be placed directly through the online booking portal, to which you will get access after your membership is confirmed.
2. Enter your @cam.ac.uk email address. You will get a temporary password giving you access to the online Boat Request Form. When entering your details, please make sure that you type in your correct name as it is shown on your ID or university card. You can only book one punt per user per day. Due to a bug in the system it allows you to book two punts, but if these are in the same name it condenses them down so the administrator view that is seen by Scudamore’s only sees one booking.
3. After your booking, you will receive a confirmation email from Scudamore’s. The Admiral will also be notified about your booking request.
4. Go to Scudamore’s Mill Lane Station and hire a 6-person punt (or a kayak/canoe!) towards Grantchester or the College Backs. All you need to bring is a proof of identify as well as a proof of your affiliation to Hughes Hall. You will be asked to leave your credit card as a deposit. The punt must be returned before the station closes (see T’s & C’s).