Students Living outside of College Accommodation

For those students living outside of college, whether by choice or an unsuccessful ballot application, the MCR Committee wants you to feel part of the Hughes community. We hope to see you at the college throughout the year, using it as a base to study, socialise and attend some of our many events.

Firstly, we would advise any student who has not yet done so, to join the Hughes Students Facebook page. It’s a useful way of keeping up to date with any upcoming events or, in the case of students seeking housemates outside of college, for finding other Hughes students in a similar situation.

The University Accommodation Service would be a good place to start in finding University-owned or privately owned accommodation. This service is being provided by the University in its attempt to unify the separate efforts of every part of the University in providing housing assistance to students and academics. The ‘Find A Home’ link on the main page of the website will provide you with information as regards University-owned and privately owned accommodation. You will need to register to use the University Accommodation Service.

Websites such as Gumtree, Rightmove, Spare Room, Zoopla and OnTheMarket are also good starting points for finding private accommodation in Cambridge, across the full range of prices. While we would be thrilled to have our students as close to the college as possible, you may want to take advantage of the opportunity to look out for accommodation that happens to be close to your department, or is closer to the town centre. In scouting for accommodation, please do take extra precaution and discretion. The University Accommodation Service is able to provide a more specialised guidance and can be contacted by phone or by a quick visit with prior appointment preferred.

Students may also find it useful to contact the Domestic Bursars of other colleges who will be able to offer advice as to the availability of any of their rooms. However, it often helps to initially call the college’s Porters’ Lodge to ask them who would be the right person to approach.

Finally, we would advise all applicants to check with Hughes (; before they sign a private accommodation agreement. It may be the case that another student has pulled out of college accommodation.

Any questions can be sent to MCR Accommodation Officer at Please also check out the Hughes Accommodation webpage for further information.

We’re looking forward to meeting you all in due course!


Lost your password?